Re: [russell.mcmanus_at_gs.com: Re: 3.99.3]

From: Jay Carlson <nop_at_nop.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 20:19:17 -0500

> Here is some language that might clear up the intent of the STk license.
>
> Note:
> STk licence seems not to be as clear as I hope. The main idea is
> that you can do what you want with STk. You can even use it in
> commercial products. The only restriction is that you must prevent me
> if you intend to use it in a commercial product (so I can send you a
> "written permission" for efectively using it). The goal is not to
> restrict commercial applications but only to count them. If someone,
> fluent in english and which like those aspects, can help me to make
> things clearer...

Yes, and adding that to the license itself will calm down the lawyers
and managers. I Am Not A Lawyer, but here's an attempt to rephrase:

 * Permission to use, copy, and/or distribute this software and its
 * documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
 * provided that both the above copyright notice and this permission
 * notice appear in all copies and derived works. Fees for
 * distribution or use of this software or derived works may not be
 * charged without either a) express written permission of the author,
 * or b) notification of the author by certified mail of 1) the
 * organization or individual proposing to charge the fee, 2) a brief
 * description of the nature of the product or service charged for,
 * and 3) an estimated number of copies of this software to be
 * delivered.

That way you don't have to worry that Erick's going to say no to you
for arbitrary reasons. This probably would have been enough for me
(and my management) when I was considering a deeper commitment to STk.

This still doesn't let STk get shipped with Linux distributions, and
it's questionable whether an ISP (or a university with a computer lab
fee!) could install STk for its users without notification.

You could go to something like:

 * Permission to use, copy, and/or distribute this software and its
 * documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
 * that both the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
 * all copies and derived works.
 *
 * Individuals or organizations charging a fee for distribution or use
 * of this software or derived works are requested to notify
 * the author by certified mail of 1) the organization or
 * individual proposing to charge the fee, 2) a brief description of
 * the nature of the product or service charged for, and 3) an
 * estimated number of copies of this software to be delivered.

Since it's just a request, you could allow email notification as
well. I think this would pass the Open Source requirements---which
just happen to be the Debian Free Software Guidelines, as well as
something Red Hat pays attention to.

> Folks, can we give the agitation and activism a miss please?

Sure, I'll go back in my cave. I'm not saying these things because
I'm some kind of free software purist; I like STk, and I want it to
have more of an audience and user base. I think the license gets in
the way of this, perhaps unintentionally. It scared me off, as well
as at least one other project.

Jay Carlson nop_at_nop.com