[russell.mcmanus_at_gs.com: Re: 3.99.3]

From: Christopher Oliver <oliver_at_fritz.traverse.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:21:38 -0400

> I would like to see the efforts of the STk maintainers and users reach
> the widest possible audience. I think that an STk based on guile will
> reach a wider audience than the current STk. And I don't just mean
> today, I'm also taking into account the future (more on this below).

As it stands, the interpreters and compilers are available at no cost
with source. As far as I can tell, the only thing bringing in GUILE
would do is force the other two systems under GPL. While I certainly
approve of the Free Software movement, I am not an activist. Even
Eric Raymond grants that other license models should be recognized.
I believe that STk and Bigloo are licensed in a way that permits both
open and closed software. This is a good thing.

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Internet
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108