Re: An intallation problem with stk 3.99 under linux

From: kubek <kubek_at_insa-tlse.fr>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:51:30 +0200

>> I tried to compile stk 3.99 but I got this error when I did
>> "make install"

    Erick> There are definitively a lot of of error when installing
    Erick> STk 3.99. I have a new version which is nearly ready and
    Erick> which correct (I hope) the install problem and some other
    Erick> bugs. There was also problem with the documentation which
    Erick> was not correctly updated. A new release correcting this
    Erick> bugs is ready, but I want to test it on more architectures
    Erick> before releasing it. Normally, the release should be out at
    Erick> the end of this week.

Thanks for the foregoing release, but thanks also for the previous
ones :). You will find hereafter some others pbs I found with 3.99.0.
Moreover, I add one wish for the stklos part as I think it is easy to
implement and may help with use of meta-classes.

Pb 1: Class <Canvas-Item> and autoload.

You changed the loading policy for "Canvitem" file from 3.1.1 : this
file can no more be loaded directly (eg through a require form), we
have now to load the "Canvas" file in order to have access to the
<canvas-item> class. *But* this class does not appear in the autoload
section of the "Tk-classes" file. Please, can you add the required
'autoload' form in this file and have a look to the other autoload
clauses needed by your changes ?

Pb 2:
        In order to use the new 'matching-*' constructs, it seems
we have to switch to the scheme module. Is it a bug or a feature ?

Wish 1 (easy :) :* Metaclass Init-Keywords*
        When defining some non '<class> instance' class, it may be
interesting to use the keyword mechanism in order to initialize the
class wide attributes. E.g if I define the following :

(define-class <attributed-class> (<class>)
        ((attribute :init-keyword :attribute
                    :initform #f)))

I would like to be able to define an instance of <attributed-class>,
say <class-instance>, with a default value of 1 for the attribute slot
with the following code :

        (define-class <class-instance> ()
           ()
           :metaclass <attributed-class>
           :attribute 1)

This code is actually unusable as you only use the ':metaclass' keyword
in the define-class macro. Is it possible to modify it in order to
pass the others option keywords to the (make <attributed-class> ...)
generated call ? I've done the modification for 3.99 (was easy ..) and
can you send it if you like.

        Erick

J.-M.