Re: build probs under Linux?

From: Andrew Dorrell <andrewd_at_ee.uts.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 14:05:56 +1000 (EST)

> In article <199609030525.XAA08828_at_sarastro.lanl.gov> Mark Galassi <rosalia_at_nis.lanl.gov> writes:
>
> ] Andrew> and upgraded the kernel to 2.0.15. gcc version is 2.7.2.
> ] Andrew> When trying to compile STk-3.0, the build fails with:
> ]
> ] Anyone building Tk stuff on linux should definitely grab the
> ] patchlevel release of gcc (I think it's 2.7.2.1 or something): it
> ] claims to fixe the gcc optimization bug that Tk brings out on linux.
>
> But this is not Andrew's problem. I believe the program needs to be
> linked with -ldl, even if you only have the dynamic version libdl.so.
> My system hash libdl.so.1.7.14, and two links to it called libdl.so.1
> and libdl.so. These should be set up by ldconfig. The question is,
> why didn't configure add -ldl to the link options?

Thanks for the hints... I think the problem may have been that I
didn't install the a.out version of gcc (from slakware). I installed
this, ran ldconfig, added the -ldl option in the makefile and managed
to build successfully. I am still not sure exactly how this system
works but at least it is working now.

Regards,
Mr Andrew Dorrell
School of Electrical Engineering                 *
University of Technology, Sydney                     *
PO Box 123                                     *
Broadway NSW 2007                                   .
AUSTRALIA
                                                    *       /---\  Whoo?
Phone:   61 2 330 2395                                      (o o) /
Fax:     61 2 330 2435                                      ( : )
email:   andrewd_at_ee.uts.edu.au                               ^ ^
    OR   dorrell_at_ihf.uts.edu.au