Re: build probs under Linux?

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 21:56:43 +0200

> Andrew Dorrell writes
> >
> > In article <199609030525.XAA08828_at_sarastro.lanl.gov> Mark Galassi <rosalia_at_nis.lanl.gov> writes:
> >
> > ] Andrew> and upgraded the kernel to 2.0.15. gcc version is 2.7.2.
> > ] Andrew> When trying to compile STk-3.0, the build fails with:
> > ]
> > ] Anyone building Tk stuff on linux should definitely grab the
> > ] patchlevel release of gcc (I think it's 2.7.2.1 or something): it
> > ] claims to fixe the gcc optimization bug that Tk brings out on linux.
> >
> > But this is not Andrew's problem. I believe the program needs to be
> > linked with -ldl, even if you only have the dynamic version libdl.so.
> > My system hash libdl.so.1.7.14, and two links to it called libdl.so.1
> > and libdl.so. These should be set up by ldconfig. The question is,
> > why didn't configure add -ldl to the link options?
>
> Thanks for the hints... I think the problem may have been that I
> didn't install the a.out version of gcc (from slakware). I installed
> this, ran ldconfig, added the -ldl option in the makefile and managed
> to build successfully. I am still not sure exactly how this system
> works but at least it is working now.

The problems comes (probably) from the way configure try to determine if you
need the -ldl option: it creates a small program with a call to dlopen and try
to link it with the -ldl option. If the link fails, it concludes that your
system doesn't need the -ldl option. The problem arise if your system is not
well installed: the link made by configure fails and configure thinks that you
don't need -ldl; Amazing.

                -- Erick