Re: STk 3.99 menu unpost bug

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_taloa.unice.fr>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 12:23:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Sarah,

> The code that I needed to change in order to fix my bug had the comment:
>
> (grab menu) ;; In Tcl/Tk, grab was :global
>
> so clearly this was a deliberate choice to make the grab local rather
> than global. Does anyone know why a local grab would be in any way
> preferred over a global one? Is there some bug in using the global grab
> that I haven't encountered yet?

No, there is no bug in global grab afaik. In fact, global grabs are a
pain in development phase, since you can completely lock the display
if you forget in your buggy code to release a grab. On Linux this is
not really a problem since we have easy access to virtual console but
on a classical Workstation that mean that you have to go in another
office to kill the STk process!!!
I suspect that this code dates from the times I was on Sun and I have
not replaced the local grab by global ones.
I must admit that the file menu.stk is a file that I'm particularly
not proud. This is a poor translation of the Tcl code, and I avoid to
go in it. It should probably rewritten, but since it (nearly)
works ...

BTW, I have changed all the local grab advertised as global in my
comments in global grab. It will be in the 4.0

Thanks

                -- Erick