Re: STk and IRIX

From: Clifford Beshers <beshers_at_cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:09:24 -0400 (EDT)

   Cc: Clifford Beshers <beshers_at_ober.cs.columbia.edu>, stk_at_kaolin.unice.fr
   Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:02:08 +0200
   From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>

   Shiro Kawai writes:
> > Has anyone gotten STk to run under either IRIX 6.2 or IRIX64 6.4?
> > (IRIX64 is the 64-bit version of the OS, apparently.)
>
> I'm using STk 3.1 on IRIX 6.2, compiled by SGI cc 7.0 with -o32 option.
> I never tried to compile it with -64 option, though.

   STk runs on Dec Alpha which are 64 bits machines. So it seems that STk
   is not dependent of the size of words (or more exactly, I hope so).

   Can someone with a SGI try to compile it 64-bits and report me
   eventual problems.

I tried, but not very hard. Things under IRIX64 aren't yet geared for
64-bit compilation. Everything defaults to 32, of which there are two
kinds, old and new.

Here are some things I learned, which may help along the way:

--On a 64-bit machine, running IRIX 6.4, uname returns IRIX64. I
thought at first this was a mistake, that someone inexperienced had
put the version number into the OS name, but it turns out to be an
indication of the 64-bit OS. Something to worry about in the
configure scripts.

--From IRIX 6.2 on, the COFF object format is out, ELF is in.
I think in the long run, this will make it easier to support dynamic
linking under IRIX, but at the moment, it means that->

--gcc-2.7.2.2 won't build. I had no success. Others have reported
problems. The first problem is, gas won't build, at least not
automatically. I think the configure scripts force the expectation of
and R4000 series machine, when it should be an R8000. There is
support for 64-bit mips processors, but under different names, and I
gave up. On top of that, gcc doesn't believe that SGI's support ELF
yet, as far as I can tell.

I did successfully build STk3.1.1 using SGI's cc with static
linking. If I have time, I'll try the 64-bit flag.

Cliff

--
Clifford Beshers                     Computer Graphics and User Interfaces Lab
beshers_at_cs.columbia.edu                         Department of Computer Science