reading from stdin

From: Erik Ostrom <eostrom_at_research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:36:36 -0400

(I tried to send something like this yesterday, but it looks like it didn't
go through; apologies if it did and this is a duplicate.)

I can't seem to read from the standard input. Basically what I would
like to do is something like this:

  #!/home/eostrom/bin/share/stk -f
  (text '.t)
  (pack .t)

  (let loop ((line (read-line)))
    (if (not (eof-object? line))
        (begin
          (.t 'insert 'end line)
          (.t 'insert 'end "\n")
          (loop (read-line)))))

What I think this should do is read lines in and put them into a text
widget. But when I run this with some sample input, the input never
seems to get there. The text widget comes up and stays empty until I
close it, and then the program exits.

Am I just doing something wrong? Or is this a known problem? Is there
a known fix? I'd really like to be able to read from stdin. (Actually,
I need to be able to do non-blocking input, since it's an interactive
program, but getting any input at all would be a good start.)

Thanks for any help
--Erik