menu entries and scheme variables

From: Erik Ostrom <eostrom_at_ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 16:26:34 -0400

Tk allows menu entries to be tied to variables--so you can do

  {.mymenu add checkbutton :label on :variable mymenuIsOn}

and then setting the variable `mymenuIsOn' changes the checkbutton's state,
and clicking on the checkbutton sets the variable.

We can do this in STk(los), but as far as I can tell,

  * the variable has to have a global name, so you can pass it in
    by name.
  * the variable will be set to "0" or "1", not #f or #t.

I assume this is just part of the whole problem of passing non-strings to Tk,
and I don't mean to complain. I just wanted to check with the list: Am I
missing a way to pass in non-global variables? (I tried using address-of in
various ways, and they didn't seem to work.) Alternatively, has anybody
written code to make this interface cleaner?