Re: Fixing Sockets and Event question

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 12:17:55 +0100

> Andrew Joseph Kompanek writes
>
> There was some discussion awhile back about getting the sockets library
> workable -- so that you can maintain multiple client connections easily,
> etc.
>
> What's the status of this? I'd be more than willing to help out on
> this... but my bet is that most of the code already exists out there
> in the community. There a couple of issues in terms of the API in the
> scheme, but the underlying stuff is easy.

Any help is always appreciated ;-).
I will probably not modify the current socket code for 2.1.7.
However, 2.1.7 will contain a way to see C type as first class Scheme objects.
Using it, I was able to write a new extension, called "posix" which implement
posix functions in STk. Not all POSIX.1 functions are yet implemented but it
would be easy to extend it (any volounteer?). Select is not (yet) in it since
it is not POSIX.1, but I will probaly add it.

> Another question: what's the status of "send" in Stk? Will it work if
> authentication is set up properly?

Send works in STk as in Tcl/Tk after you have to set the X authentication
mechanism in place. The only problem with send, is that the result is always a
string (i.e.
        (send "Another_STk" '(+ 1 2))
returns "3" and not 3). I hope to make things better some day...

                -- Erick