Re: concurrency in STk, and Windows init file questions

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:15:19 +0100 (CET)

David Yeh writes:
> I want to use STk to teach SICP. I've browsed around the documentation but
> I can't find anything on threading and mutexes. Does STk have such
> features

No it does not. There is currently a SRFI proposition around
threads. I'll wait that it is accepted to implement it in STk, if
possible.
Anyway, you can simulate some parallel behaviour with the Tk after
command. Not a real parallel execution but I had made a (not
efficient) preemptive thread system with it a long time ago.

> and how with I implement test-and-set! and parallel-execute with STk?

I've a (bad) french version of the first version SICP on my desk, but
cannot find what you are referring to. Can you tell me more precisely
how these are working. Perhaps, it can be simulated with the after
cited before.

> Also, how does STk's loading work? For the windows version, how do I make
> it load a file upon startup? (file name, path, etc?)

Use the -load option. It should work (I'm not able to test since I
have no more Windows on it due to a lack of disk space).

                -- Erick