Re: weird arith bug on 4.0.1 under Solaris

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:08:11 +0200 (CEST)

Ron Stanonik writes:
> Shouldn't this give "not a number ...
>
> Yes. We get:
>
> Solaris on a Sun
>
> STk> (version)
> "4.0.1"
> STk> (machine-type)
> "SunOS-5.7-sun4"
> STk> (+ '(+ 2 3) 4 5)
>
> *** Error:
> +: not a number: (+ 2 3)
> STk>
>
> Linux
> STk> (version)
> "4.0.1"
> STk> (machine-type)
> "Linux-2.X-ix86"
> STk> (+ '(+ 2 3) 4 5)
>
> *** Error:
> +: not a number: (+ 2 3)

I have not tested on Solaris yet, but is it not something like that
that you have evaluated?

        STk> (apply + '((+ 2 3) 4 5))
        14

which is of course incorrect, on all architectures. This is a long
standing bug that I have never corrected with the actual version of
STk, because the code for numbers should be rewritten. For the next
generation of STk, which I'm finishing, number code has been, as all
the rest btw, rewritten (and yes there are rationals and complexes :-).

                -- Erick