Re: weird arith bug on 4.0.1 under Solaris

From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg_at_sartre.dgate.ORG>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:34:36 -0700

And then spake Erick Gallesio, as follows:
> > Shouldn't this give "not a number ...
>
> I have not tested on Solaris yet, but is it not something like that
> that you have evaluated?
>
> STk> (apply + '((+ 2 3) 4 5))
> 14
>
> which is of course incorrect, on all architectures. This is a long
> standing bug that I have never corrected with the actual version of
> STk, because the code for numbers should be rewritten. For the next
> generation of STk, which I'm finishing, number code has been, as all
> the rest btw, rewritten (and yes there are rationals and complexes :-).

Checking with my source for this bug, it is in fact apply which he has
been using. Can you suggest a workaround? Unless you have already got
one, I'm going to work on one. (UC Berkeley is going to be using STk in
the fall semester for some large undergraduate computer science courses,
and that's only about a month away, so I can't wait for the next release,
unfortunately.)

Thanks a lot for the prompt response!

-Brian

--
Brian R. Gaeke, brg_at_sartre.dgate.ORG -- PGP/GPG gleefully accepted
"the iguana / in the petshop window on St Catherine Street / crested,