Serial port access under Win32

From: Grant Edwards <grante_at_visi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:21:20 -0500

I've written a small STk application that acts as sort of a user
interface for a laboratory scale via an RS-232 port. For the moment,
I'm using (system "stty ...") to configure the serial port. It seems
to be more-or-less working under Unix, but the end user would really
rather run it under Windows9x.

So, I down-loaded the Win32 STk binary and it seems to be running OK
(except for background errors generated every time a menu is accessed in
the console or editor: last-error-message is unbound). But, I can't
figure out how to access serial ports under Win32 -- there isn't a
/dev/ttyS0 to open.

How do you open a serial port under Win32? Once open, can I do a
when-port-readable on it? Why do I have a feeling I'm not going to
like working with Windows?

--
Grant Edwards
grante_at_visi.com