Illuminate Photography and Arts Newsletter

From: Illuminate - World Photographic and Arts Resources Newsletter <illuminate_at_photographer.org>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 05:23:45 +0200 (MET DST)

ILLUMINATE
World Photography and Arts Resources Monthly Newsletter / E-Zine
Newsletter #17 – May 1999
Current Readership: 9,535 people worldwide
(To NEVER receive email from this publication again)
at no cost by simply sending an email REPLY to
illuminate_at_photographer.org with the word REMOVE in the subject line. OR
click here: mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=remove
Please note we NEVER EVER sell your email address from our own targeted
email database to ANYBODY. We value your privacy and it is strictly for our
own publishing purposes only. We hope this gives you piece of mind.

--------------------------------------
IN THIS ISSUE
Editors note
Cool websites to check out
Joke of the day
This months useless Facts
Internet Facts
--------------------------------------

EDITORS NOTE

Dear cyber friends and colleagues,
This month we are pushing for people and companies to place their web link
on our newsletter in exchange for a weblink on your website or newsletter-
ezine, especially if your website is related to photography or the arts
industries. It helps our publication by adding interesting content and links
whilst offering new subscribers to our newsletter and gives you HUGE
exposure to a targeted audience that you normally wouldn't have. Keep in
mind that your www link will be read by around 9,000 odd readers worldwide
and growing, AND it costs you nothing, it doesn't seem like a bad deal
really? Those who publish their own newsletters and e-zines are also
welcomed to take advantage of this link swap and will receive added
bonuses such as a free URL submission to 1000+ search engines worldwide.
If you are interested in this effective and free link exchange then please
email me here:
mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=linkadnewsletter
We are also particularly looking for input from those in the arts other than
photography to get involved with our zine so we can broaden our horizons
and present you with more interesting content.
Meanwhile, we have a brand new computer here at Illuminate that helps
speed up the sending of our 9,000 emails to our subscribers every month as
well as a new mail server technology that may in time enable us to
substantially generate close to DOUBLE the amount of subscribers to this
publication! We are working hard to gain more and more online exposure
and credibility, something that takes time and resources in the new and
dynamic world of e-publishing.
Feel free to send me any feedback, ideas, links, and improvements or
forward this email to any interested friends or colleagues that you might
know, but please avoid spamming!

Until then I look forward to your emails…
Regards Illuminate Management

--------------------------------------

Photographic Books to check out on the web AT 40% OFF R.R.P.\

"1999 Photographer's Market: 2,000 Places to Sell Your Photographs (Pro
Edition)"
 More than 400 new markets for photographic works are listed in this fully
updated, newly formatted edition of the popular guide. Includes an expanded
paper products, and stock agencies; tips on putting together an effective
portfolio; and more. Essential marketing tool for all business-minded
professionals in photography…. Worth its weight in gold! Click here to
review it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898797934/jamesbuchananpho

"Illusion: The Art and Craft of Special Effects for Still Photographers"
by Fil Hunter, Paul Fuqua
This book is a toolbox for photographers who want to create an altered
reality by making impossible images look real or by making real images
look impossible. The techniques range from simple, inexpensive effects any
interested photographer can do to complicated effects requiring lots of
practice and special equipment. No matter how sophisticated the effect,
however, the authors give step-by-step instructions so your effects can
keep the viewer wondering too.
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0240800648/jamesbuchananpho

"PC Photography"
PC Photography starts with the basics of image processing and taking
quality photos. A special treatment is given to Kodak photo CD format that
allows anyone to put photos on
CD-ROM. The technology and process are both explained in depth. It then
moves on to examine how today's hardware and software work. Review it
here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557552932/jamesbuchananpho

"Achieving the Ultimate Image"
"Ernst Wildi... is one of the foremost authorities on the disciplines of
professional photographic technique. 'Achieving the Ultimate Image' is as
much for the seasoned professional as it is for the beginner. Review it here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0936262621/jamesbuchananpho

More books to check out in different areas of photography…….

Individual Photographers such as HERB RITTS, EDWARD WESTON, HELMUT
NEWTON, RICHARD AVEDON, ANSEL ADAMS, HENRI CARTIER-BRESSON,
ANNIE LEIBOVITZ, ROBERT MAPPLETHORP, MANN RAY, ANNE GEDDES,
etc
Check all of their books out here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho

Digital Imaging, General Photographic Textbooks, Architectural
Photography,
and camera manuals etc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho

Cinematography ,Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions and Fashion
Photography etc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho

Commercial & Careers , Darkroom & Processing and History of Photography
etc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho

Nature & Wildlife , Photo Essays, Portraits and Photojournalism etc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho

Reference Textbooks, Sports Photography, Travel Photography etc
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/browse-
books/2020/jamesbuchananpho
--------------------------------------

INDUSTRY SOFTWARE AT UP TO 33% OFF R.R.P.

Need Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator or Premier software? Check it out
here:
http://www.beyond.com/AF24916/showcase/adobe.htm

Need Macromedia Director or other Macromedia software? Try here:
http://www.beyond.com/AF24916/showcase/macromedia.htm

Looking for graphics or desktop publishing software? Paintshop pro,
Pagemaker, Corel draw, Quark, Extensis PS plug-ins etc; find any software
application or program you need in an any category, thousands to choose
from right here:
http://www.beyond.com/AF24916/graphics.htm

--------------------------------------

OTHER COOL WEB SITES TO CHECK OUT THIS MONTH

OZIMAGES
Searchable database of photographic images within a stock library in all
areas. Need a picture fast for a publication, find it here! Photographers can
make $$$ here by selling their own photographs around the world. Great
long-term income opportunities. Accepting work now!
http://apn.net.au/cgi-bin/2/redeem.pl?ozim113

ICQ – Popular real-time online chat software – paging service to chat with
people all over the world. Send sounds, pics and software to your new
penpals, friends and relatives… Extremely addictive and lots of fun!
http://www.mirabilis.com/mainproducts.html

MACROMEDIA SHOCKWAVE - This is one of the coolest and most
entertaining websites on the net. Lots of competitions, cartoons, cool
games, downloads, themes and interactive multimedia!
http://www.shockrave.com/

MESSAGE MATES - A great site to visit to send friends an interactive
personal multimedia message with plenty to choose from for any number of
occasions; e.g. birthday, Easter, Christmas, anniversary etc!
http://204.168.20.42/index.html

--------------------------------------
Would you like to advertise your company or your website on this
newsletter to be sent out and be seen by our ENTIRE database like some of
the sponsors here? Just place a text link on your website or ezine and we
will advertise your URL for as long as you advertise our link! You might be
surprised how easy it is and how many people it is read by? Ads on other
ezines and newsletters will receive special bonuses. For info email us here
mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=linkadnewsletter
Or email illuminate_at_photographer.org and type ADS in the subject line.
--------------------------------------

JOKE OF THE DAY
Brought to you by "LAUGH A DAY" Subscribe below:
mailto:doughels_at_erols.com?Subject=Subscribe

A mother and baby camel are talking one day when the baby camel asks,
"Mom why have I got these huge three toed feet?"
The mother replies, "Well son, when we trek across the desert your toes
will help you to stay on top of the soft sand".
"OK" said the son. A few minutes later the son asks, "Mom, why have I got
these great long eyelashes?"
"They are there to keep the sand out of your eyes on the trips through the
desert".
"Thanks Mom" replies the son. After a short while, the son returns and
asks, "Mom, why have I got these great big humps on my back??"
The mother, now a little impatient with the boy replies, "They are there to
help us store water for our long treks across the desert, so we can go
without drinking for long periods."
"That's great mom, so we have huge feet to stop us sinking, and long
eyelashes to keep the sand from our eyes and these humps to store water,
but Mom"
"Yes son?"
"Why the heck are we in the zoo then?"

Five-year-old Becky answered the door when the census taker came by. She
told the census taker that her daddy was a doctor and wasn't home because
he was performing an appendectomy. "My," said the census taker, "that
sure is a big word for such a little girl. Do you know what it means?"
"Sure! Fifteen-hundred bucks, and that doesn't even include the
anesthesiologist!"

Bumper stickers seen on vehicles lately - -

Honk if you've never seen an Uzi fired from a car window
Seen on the back of a biker's vest: If you can read this, my wife fell off.
I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Heart Attacks...God's Revenge For Eating His Animal Friends
If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now
What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull terrier
---------------------------------------

PHOTOGRAPHIC RESOURCES ONLINE LIBRARY
(Partial listing only)

Manfrotto … http://www.manfrotto.com
Minolta ….. http://www.minolta.com
Minox ….. http://www.minox.com
Photo Centre ….. http://www.bu.edu/prc
Photo Resources ….. http://www.photoresources.com
Photographer worldwide search ….. http://www.photographers.com
Poloroid ….. http://www.polaroid.com
Quantum Instruments ….. http://www.qtm.com
Quark ….. http://www.quark.com
Sunpak ….. http://www.sunpak.com
Syquest ….. http://www.syquest.com
Tamron ….. http://www.tamron.com
Tenbar ….. http://www.tenbar.com
Umax ….. http://www.umax.com
Viewsonic ….. http://www.viewsonic.com
Vivitar ….. http://www.vivitarcorp.com
---------------------------------------

THIS MONTHS USELESS FACTS
(Brought to you by Useless Facts Daily- http://www.uselessfacts.net )

The two most common surgeries are biopsies and cesarean sections.
Aerosmith's "Dude looks like a lady," was written about Vince Neil of
Motley Crue.
Mickey Mouse is known as "Topolino" in Italy.
Ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand.
Kermit the Frog has 11 points on his collar around his neck.
The Atlantic Ocean is saltier than the Pacific Ocean.
50% of bank robberies take place on Fridays.
The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota is the size of 78 football
fields.
Vanilla Ice's real name is Robert Van Winkle.
The Mola Mola, or Ocean Sunfish, lays up to 5,000,000 eggs at one time.
Skepticisms is the longest typed word that alternates hands.
If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top
and sinking to the bottom???
--------------------------------------

Fantastic range of online music, videos and DVD to choose from at the
biggest music and bookstore on earth. All tastes, all budgets here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201696967/jamesbuchananpho

Huge range of quality photographic and art books at 40% off R.R.P. until
sold out. For absolutely any and every type of book imaginable, promptly
delivered to your front door. To view thousands of book titles, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/jamesbuchananpho

Australian Photographers Network - links, information and submit your own
images to the stock library here.
http://apn.net.au/cgi-bin/2/redeem.pl?ozim113

Got a website? Want more people to visit and get more "hits" and sales?
Did you know that up to 75% of all web traffic is directed through search
engines? So even if you have one of the coolest websites on the net but are
not registered with all the top 400 search engines worldwide, you are
loosing 3 out of 4 potential customers and web visitors. Put simply, nobody
will ever be able to find you or your site. Scary stuff considering how many
hours and $$$'s you invest into a website! The bottom line is that you
simply MUST be registered with all the search engines, so you potentially
have access to 50 million + regular internet users worldwide. You could do
it yourself in 80+ hours, or we can do it for you using the most
technologically advanced software currently available to professional
webmasters! Forget the free submission services on the net, you get what
you pay for! If you are serious about promoting your website, do it properly
and professionally; like you would with any other form of advertising. For a
detailed information sheet emailed to you promptly on how we can help you
drive MANY MANY MORE people to your website, CLICK HERE :
mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=submitnews
Or email to illuminate_at_photographer.org with submit in the subject line.
--------------------------------------

Internet Facts and Figures

It took Radio 30 years to have 50,000,000 radios in people's homes.
It took TV 15 years to have 50,000,000 TV's in people's homes.
It took the Internet 3 years to have 50,000,000 people connected to the web.

"There are between 50 million and 100 million regular internet users
currently!"
"There are more than 20 million webpages in existence"
"There are seven new people on the Internet every second."
"Every fourth person on the Internet is buying something right now."
"The internet has had more users in its first 5 years, than telephone did in
its first thirty."
"This month another 18 million people will go online."
"Email already outnumbers regular mail by 10 to one."

--------------------------------------
Top 10 Internet Terms (H-Z)
     By Kate Schultz

1. HTML (Hypertext Markup Language): The programming language used to
create Web pages.

2. Hyperlink: A link on the Web connecting one server to another. The user
clicks on the prepared text or graphic image to connect to the link.

3. Internet Newsletter: Refers to on-line publications. One type of Internet
Newsletter is sent to subscribers through e-mail, while others are published
on a Web site as an electronic magazine.

4. JPG or JPEG: A common file format for photo images. An abbreviation for
Joint Photographic Experts Group.

5. Netiquette: Rules of the road. It refers to proper conduct for Internet
citizens.

6. Newsgroups: Message boards on the Internet. The newsgroup is a *place*
the Internet user visits to get messages.

7. Search Engine: One of the primary ways Internet users find sites. Also
known as a *spider*, it *crawls* the web and sends pages to its index.

8. Shopping Cart: Software that acts as an on-line storefront. The shopping
cart tracks all of the items a shopper wants to purchase. A shopping cart
will let you put items back on the shelf and allow you to pay for your whole
order at once.

9. Signature File: The block of text appended to the end of each e-mail
message by your e-mail software. It is the Internet version of your business
card.

10. URL (Uniform Resource Locator): The addressing system of the Internet.
Your personal URL is the address of your Web site.

Kate Schultz is the Publisher of E-ZineZ: the E-Zine about E-Zines!
Visit http://www.e-zinez.com for FREE how-to help for your Internet
Newsletter.
--------------------------------------

This newsletter is sent to a variety of people including photographers,
assistants, stylists, hair and makeup artists, photography labs, graphic
designers, assorted photography services, photography schools and
courses, various visual artists, photographic stock libraries, advertising
agencies, modeling agencies, and many generally interested subscribers
within several different arts communities. Illuminate is published and sent
to the likes of the people above in up to 14 countries including, Australia,
America, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, and also
throughout Europe and South East Asia to a lesser extent. Like to place an
ad on this newsletter? Email us here: illuminate_at_photographer.org with ads
in the subject line.
mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=ads

--------------------------------------
Please note we NEVER EVER sell your email address from our own
database to ANYBODY. We value your privacy and it is strictly for our own
marketing purposes only. We hope this gives you piece of mind.
reply to illuminate_at_photographer.org with the word REMOVE in the
SUBJECT line. mailto:illuminate_at_photographer.org?subject=remove
--------------------------------------
Routine Disclaimer: Although we make the effort to check out every
advertisement, we cannot assume responsibility for the actions of our
advertisers or their ads content.
--------------------------------------

"To look is to be visually orientated, to see is to be visually talented"
 Anonymous

" If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you've
already got" ... anonymous

This message is sent in compliance with the proposed United States
Federal requirements for commercial email:
Section 301; Paragraph (a)(2)(C) of s. 1618
Sender: Illuminate Photography email: illuminate_at_photographer.org
Currently there is no such proposed legislation of that nature in Australia,
the origin of this email.

Thanks for reading Illuminate…..
Have a happy day! :-)

All material contained within this newsletter is protected by Copyright ©
1999 to Illuminate Photography or other original authors who have approved
of and given kind permission
to reproduce their work within this publication.
Illuminate Photography © 1999