Re: pcre and stk

From: Brian Denheyer <briand_at_deldotd.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:34:41 -0800 (PST)

    Harvey> What do you mean "current regexp package"? Do you mean
    Harvey> Henry Spencer's latest code or the version of Spencer's
    Harvey> code included with STk (which is an older version).
    Harvey> Spencer's latest code is quite slow, but the version used
    Harvey> in STk (& in TCL up until recently, I guess) is pretty
    Harvey> fast.

The current regexp package is the regexp currently in STk 3.99.4. See
my follow-up post where I very quietly say that the perfomance is
about the same with pcre gaining a slight edge. The matching string
was very trivial the first time I ran the test, making it slightly
more complicated evened up the performance.

Something also slowed down as I continued working on the glue code,
but I was never able to identify exactly what happened.

Bottom line is that the performance is perfectly acceptable.

Brian