pcre and stk

From: Brian Denheyer <briand_at_deldotd.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:04:52 -0800 (PST)

I did some pretty crude test of performance to see if there is any
difference between the tcl (Henry Spencer) regexp package and the pcre
package.

I didn't do anything fancy but I used several strings of which some
match and some fail. The regular expression wasn't too complicated
but I incorporated grouping and characters sets.

When all is said and done, over a large number of trials the pcre
package appears to be 2x faster than the curent regexp package.

So performance-wise it won't hurt to use pcre instead and it's
definitely a more "featureful" package.

I will clean it up and have it posted by tomorrow on my web-site as a
dynamically loadable module.

Brian
--
Brian Denheyer             briand_at_deldotd.com
Deldot Design, Inc.        (503) 788-1607