Re: Problem with STk 3.99.3 binaries for Linux

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 10:33:29 +0100 (CET)

Paolo Amoroso writes:

> I tried to install the STk 3.99.3 binaries, i.e. STk-3.99.3-1.i386.rpm, on
> my Slackware 3.1 Linux system (kernel v. 2.0.0). First I converted the RPM
> archive to tarball format with the rpm2targz utility. Then I installed it
> using Slackware's installpkg tool. Finally I changed to root the owner and
> group of all files and directories (I needed this step because I didn't run
> rpm2targz as root).

You should really use the rpm command, even if your system is not
a RedHat one. This would allow you to install rpm without problems
In particular, a rpm embed command before and after an installation or
a deletion which, I suppose, are not executed by a conversion program.
If I recall, the source of rpm is available at www.rpm.org.

> When I try to start STk, I get the following error message:
>
> bash: /usr/local/bin/stk: No such file or directory
>
> even if /usr/local/bin is in my path. Things don't change if I use the
> absolute path, or if I make /usr/local/bin current and issue the ./stk
> command. I have checked all the file permissions and the symbolic links,
> and everything looks correct.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

That's really weird ...

>Maybe the binaries require a glibc system,
> while mine is a libc one (but then the program should at least start and
> immediately stop complaining about the wrong libraries; my error message
> comes from bash instead). Any help will be highly appreciated.

YES it uses glibc.

                -- Erick