Re: 3.99.3

From: Christopher Oliver <oliver_at_fritz.traverse.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:40:51 -0400

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry_at_piermont.com> writes:
> I don't care *which* scheme gets pushed hardest, so long as the good
> talent all starts hacking on and improving *it*. There aren't enough
> of us to be able to support the Scheme of the Week phenomenon.

Here, I completely disagree. If you look carefully, you find that
each Scheme centers around one or two seminal thinkers in language
design whether that be Jonathan Rees, Matthias Felleisen, Christian
Queinnec or some other. These folk have definite ideas where they
want to see things go. There is even division in the ranks of to
R?RS group as I found when I discussed the print representation of
the language with Kent Pitman. I do not believe resolving these
things by political fiat is any way to promote this. Until there is
a clear idea of technical correctness at a broad scale, homogeneity
is a curse rather than a blessing. Were we unable to hack Lisp
before CLTL or the ANSI draft?

--
Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Internet
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108