Re: STk for Win32 -- what, no readme?

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:26:04 +0200

Peter Drake writes:
> I pulled down STk 3.1 for Win32, and then hunted down the un-Win32-ly
> gunzip and tar to unpack it. With further work, including a couple of
> blind guesses regarding the STK_LIBRARY variable, I was able to get it
> to work. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but would some
> installation instructions be too much to ask for?

It's exact that the Windows version is not easy to install. Anyway
there were some user contributions which should make things better for
the Windows version and I have started to integrate them contribution
in my Win32 development tree. I hope to be able soon to merge both
trees.

> Also, is there a reason that the Win32 version is only at 3.1, while
> the Unix version seems to be asymptotically approaching 4.0?

This is because, it is very difficult to port a package on a system
that you never boot ;-). Furthermore, porting STk to Win32 was a
nightmare experience for me and the feedback on this port was so low
that I'm very reluctant now to spend more time on it. However, I will
do it for next release, since things are nearly ready for that. (BTW,
if the interest for this port is the same as for 3.1 this will
probably be the last time I will do it).

When the port will be terminated, the number release will be 4.0

> correct in deducing that the inspector does not work win the Win32
> version?

It doesn't work well on Unix, so .... ;-)

                -- Erick