how do you manage big list boxes?

From: Walter C. Pelissero <wcp_at_luppolo.lpds.sublink.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:23:24 +0200 (CEST)

Scroll-listboxes are good enough while you are working with a number
of items ranging from 0 to (maybe) 1000. But what do you use to
manage more items in an efficent way (from the point of view of
space)?

An example where a Scroll-listbox can't be used efficently could be a
browser of database records. You must load all records (at least some
column) if you want to browse them with the traditional Scroll-listbox.

The natural answer seems something like a new Scroll-listbox with
external functions to fetch and locate items (rows, records, lines) as
needed.

Since the problem seems to me rather common I hesitate starting
thinking of a solution.

Any suggestion?