STk using 100% CPU time for no apparent reason

From: Michel Schinz <schinz_at_studi.epfl.ch>
Date: 30 Jul 1997 16:51:17 +0200

  Hi!

  I have written several STk programs for work, and the last one that
I wrote is usually run for a very long period (several days), although
it spends most of its time iconified, doing nothing. The problem that
I encountered is that after some time (several minutes or even hours),
stk suddenly begins using 100% of the CPU and does not answer to any
kind of events (e.g. it does not refresh its windows and "kill" does
not kill it, one has to use "kill -9").

  I was wondering whether that problem happened only with that
program, so I tried to run several other programs that I had written,
and simply iconified them as soon as their window popped up, and left
them untouched for some time. Once again, after several minutes and
for no apparent reason, stk began using 100% CPU time, and I had to
kill my programs.

  I finally tried the same experiment with two demo programs that come
with stk: compo-demo.stklos and widget.stk. Once again, same results:
while left completely untouched and iconified, they began using 100%
CPU time after some minutes.

  I was thus wondering whether someone has already encountered that
buggy behaviour, and if anyone knows how to solve it. For me, it is
really an embarassing problem, because my 900-lines program suddenly
becomes completely useless...

  I am running STk 3.1.1 on Solaris 2.5.1.

Thanks for your help,
Michel.