getting the class name from a symbol name

From: Brian Denheyer <briand_at_northwest.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:47:37 -0800

If I have a class <Point> and I have a symbol '<Point> is there any
way to get the class indentifier type using the symbol. The obvious
application for this is that I could read a file :

<Point> 1.0 2.0

And, having read the class name, I could then create an instance of
the class and have the method which is defined for reading <Point>'s
automagically be invoked to read the next 2 values.

Is this possible ?

If not what would be a good way to accomplish this ? I'm thinking a
hash table of class name/classes.

--
Brian Denheyer
briand_at_northwest.com