Re: portability

From: berryj <berryj_at_numen.elon.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:11:30 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the update, Erick. It is too bad that you are all
alone on STk, because I think it's a fantastic system. If you
really want it to hit the computer science mainstream, though,
I think you should make these porting issues a priority. I too
love Linux and feel like I have handcuffs on when working in
Windows or on the Mac, but that is where my users are.

I've spent a good deal of time searching for porting info on
the web, and the feeling I'm getting is that these ports are
really not student projects, but industry jobs. Documentation
I read on the Visual C++/Mac compiler ($2k!!) indicated that
you can count on 95% of the port being fine, but then you had
better know the Mac and Windows libraries in detail to finish
the rest.

I have seen advertisements for CodeWarrior claiming similar
cross-platform capabilities for much less money, but I know
nothing more about this at the moment.

I might be willing to help in this effort if we can organize
it. I can't help thinking that some day pretty soon we'll see
an announcement for Guile Scheme-Tk in Java with Clos, and STk
will be obsolete. Is it a reasonable apprehension, STk'ers?
        Jon

Dr. Jonathan W. Berry Office: Whitley 204
Assistant Professor, Computing Sciences Campus Box: 2130
Elon College, N.C. Office Phone: (910)584-2290