Profiling

From: David Fox <fox_at_cat.nyu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:56:11 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to implement simple call counting and profiling for STk. I
have a hashtable code and a stopwatch class to store the amount of
time spent in each method, but I can't quite figure out (from staring
at eval.c) how to tell when a given method is invoked, or to find a
good name for it to store in the hash table. It gets tricky because
of the localvar stuff and I'm not sure what else. Erick, could you
help me out? I just need to know when to call call
enter_method("name") before entering a method and leave_method("name")
after leaving it. It slows things down a bit, but its better than
nothing.

(Once it works I can post the code for this if anyone likes.)