Re: Dynamic Inheritance in STklos

From: Lars Thomas Hansen <lth_at_ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 09:42:17 -0400

>I've implemented something I'm calling Dynamic Inheritance in STklos
>(it seems to resemble something called that, but I haven't found a
>clear enough description to be sure.) What I'm referring to is
>creating an object which you can dynamically assign a parent
>*instance* to at the time it is constructed.

I believe that the conventional name for this is "delegation", although
my understanding of it is that in its full glory, delegation is somewhat
more general than what you describe: if A is the parent of B, then
(classof B) need not be a subclass of (classof A); rather, any message
not understood by B is simply forwarded (delegated) to A.

--lars