width and height methods not dynamic?

From: Clifford Beshers <beshers_at_cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:22:40 -0400 (EDT)

I was surprised to learn that the width and height fields in a widget
are not dynamic. This is not a bug in STk, but apparently part of the
design of Tk. The only way I can find to get the actual geometry of a
window seems to be with 'winfo geometry <widget>', which returns a X11
geometry string.

Is this the only way? Am I the only one who thinks this is completely
brain-dead?

Cliff

--
Clifford Beshers                     Computer Graphics and User Interfaces Lab
beshers_at_cs.columbia.edu                         Department of Computer Science