Re: Proposal about STK_LIBRARY path

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 14:58:46 +0000

> Clifford Beshers writes
>
> It seems to me that the move from a shell startup script to a real
> executable is incomplete.
>
> The location of the library (installed) is known before compilation
> (the --prefix setting for configure). Why don't we compile that
> string into the executable? If the environment variable is defined,
> it would override that value. In the normal instance, however, no
> environment variables would be needed.
>
> If this seems like a good idea, I'll provide a patch.

The location of the library is fixed at installation time to know where the
Schemes files ans libraries must be copied. One the installation is done, you
can take all the STk tree and place it where you want.
The interpreter (should) only complains only when it cannnot locate the
init.stk
near the place the executable was found.

The current state should permit to make binary distributions. This is imho
better than an executable with a hard-coded path in it. But perhaps I'm wrong.

BTW, what people think of making binary distributions available on kaolin?

I can
                -- Erick