Re: next release?

From: Erik Ostrom <eostrom_at_vesuvius.ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 15:29:04 -0500

> Something like a list of STk 2.x to STk 3.0 porting hints would help me
> tremendously. I decided to move my masters degree project to STk 3.0 and
> the going is a bit rocky.

It's not STk-specific, but something that might be very helpful is the
chapter on porting from Tk 3 to Tk 4 in Brent Welch's book, "Practical
Programming in Tcl and Tk". You can find out more about the book at
<http://www.sunlabs.com:80/~bwelch/book/index.html>--plus, the chapter
itself (along with some Tk 4 changes that didn't make it in before the
book went to press) is duplicated in a link off that page.

Most (not all) of the STk changes I've found are more-or-less directly
related to changes in Tk.

> Right now when I try to load the file (which worked under 2.x) I get a
> never-ending string of warnings about "&" being undefined while it appears
> to recurse infinitely (not sure about the recusion -- but it uses up so much
> memory/CPU that it's hard to get it killed).

Yeah, & isn't defined in STk 3. It was a function that basically
concatenated print prepresentations of all its arguments together into
a string. Probably the simplest way to solve this problem is to
define & before you load anything--you can find it in tk-init.stk in an
STk 2 distribution.

> I did get a smaller program to run without errors, but some of the Tk widget
> behaviors have changed, so it doesn't work correctly.

I've got a fairly large application (mostly written with stklos) mostly
ported. Unfortunately I didn't keep organized notes on what I had to
change, but I'd be happy to try to help with specific problems.