Need of a public "realpath" function.

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:20:20 +0000

In order to make stk binary independant of the location wher it resides on a
disk, I need a function similar to realpath. This function returns the
canonicalized absolute pathname of a given file. Sun docs says:
     realpath() expands all symbolic links and resolves refer-
     ences to '/./', '/../' and extra '/' characters in the null
     terminated string named by path and stores the canonicalized
     absolute pathname in the buffer named by resolved_path. The
     resulting path will have no symbolic links components, nor
     any '/./' or '/../' components.

Hoewever this function is not standard, and I try to find a public one, if it
exists (I have found one in Emacs sources which is GPL'ed of course).
My questions are :
        - Is there a PD realpath already existing?
        - Is there such a function on your system (and what is its name).
          For now, i know that there is one on Linux, SunOS 4, Solaris 2,
          and OSF doesn't seems to propose one.

This function is a little bit tricky to write and I suspect that if I try to
write a compatible one, it will conduct to problems for some architectures.

                -- Erick