line numbers for error messages?

From: Paul Shannon <pshannon_at_iapetus.CV.NRAO.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 13:22:08 EST

Being new to tcltk and STk, I am learning them both at the same time.
I use the examples from Brent Welch's (draft) new book, "Practical
Programming in Tcl and Tk", and convert them to STk after I understand
how they work in Tcl.

Naturally, I find STk much more pleasant to work with... But the
Tcl interpreter has one feature I find quite helpful -- it's
error messages are somewhat more informative.

For example, when I use the wrong name for a parent window, STk
tells me

   *** Error:
   bad window path name ".toplabel"

and Tcl says:

   bad window path name ".topLabel"
       while executing
   "entry .topLabel.textEntry -width 20 -relief sunken -textvariable command"
       (file "./execlog.tcl" line 24)
       invoked from within
   "source ./execlog.tcl"

I find the line number, in particular, pretty helpful. Is there
any chance line numbers could go on the official STk wish list?

Thanks -- and my compliments on STk.

 - Paul Shannon
   pshannon_at_nrao.edu
   National Radio Astronomy Observatory