ready-char? bug

From: Erik Ostrom <eostrom_at_ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 00:59:33 -0500

I got the following behavior when trying to read from a pipe:

| STk> (define port
| (open-input-file
| "|tail -0f /proj/jhm/house/Log/House.log.current"))
| #[undefined]
| STk> (char-ready? port)
| #t
| STk> (read-char port)

... and here the program hangss because there's no character forthcoming. But
R4RS says "If `char-ready?' returns `#t' then the next `read-char' operation
on the given PORT is guaranteed not to hang."

In fact, looking at the source code, it seems char_readyp() just always
returns truth. I tried to fix this myself, but decided I'm too clueless about
unix and C, so I'm just submiting this bug report instead. Has anyone else
run into this and managed to write a fix?