Repost

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_kaolin.unice.fr>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 15:16:11 +0000

It seems that following mail doen't reach the mailing list.
I apologize if you already receive it.

> Using STk 2.1, I've noticed that when a listbox widget is given a
> "get" command it doesn't return a string, but rather returns an atom
> or a list depending on what the string is.

> Personally, I would prefer that listboxes always return a string the
> same way that an entry widget does. I am thinking about changing the
> handling of the listbox "get" to make it work like the entry "get." Is
> there some reason that I should leave it alone?

Me too. Correcting this "feature" would be easy but it breaks the inspector
which relies on it (and I'm not the author of the inspector). Since the
inspector is a good candidate to be rewritten (it doesn't use object and cannt
be easily extended with new types), I have left things as they are.
I hope to be able to propose a new implementation in a next release (probably
not 2.2 which will be out soon, 2.3?).
In the meanwhile, you can use a (selection 'get) to obtain the content of a
field. Eventually, I can probaly find the patch I had done (and retracted) for
circumvent the problem, but you'll loose the inspector.