Looking for demos

From: Grant Edwards <grante_at_rosevax.rosemount.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 19:17:46 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded message:

> Does anyone have any demos they would be willing to share apart from
> the ones that come with the STk-2.1.3 distribution?

I've written a graphical "8 Queens" puzzle program that I think is a
nice little demo. It demonstrates several interesting things:

 - recursive, depth-first search of a solution-space
 - a simple matrix implementation
 - how call/cc is used to abort a function
 - various uses of Tk "buttons"

It's about 300 lines long (including whitespace and comments).

I haven't figured out an easy way to make the chess board look right
on a B/W display, but it's nice in color or greyscale.

I've also got a fairly nice file-selector box that was originally
translated from Tcl (though it has been heavily re-written) so the
structure might be a little odd compared to something that was written
from scratch.

There isn't much in the way of documentation for the fileselect box, and
it's not well commented. It would be a good example of:

 - top level widget
 - file system stuff
 - button, entry, listbox usage with customized bindings

I'd be happy to upload either to an ftp site or e-mail the sources to
anybody who would like to play with them.

Is there an ftp site for STk stuff in North America? The connection
to kaolin.unice.fr seems a little slow and I feel guilty grabbing
stuff at random just to browse through things.

P.S. In English "kaolin" refers to a type of white colored clay. It
     is used as a component in the coating used to make "shiney"
     paper. Does it mean something else in French?

--
Grant Edwards
Rosemount Inc.