Re: [ANNOUNCE] STklos version 0.50

From: Erick Gallesio <Erick.Gallesio_at_unice.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:25:58 +0100 (CET)

Andrew Dorrell writes:
> Eric,
>
> Not sure whether I can post to this list still from my new address...

It seems you can ;-)

> GTK will certainly breath life into the project... as you note, interest
> in Tk is dying (or dead).
>
> I'm just interested... was there a reason for going with GTK over QT
> (political, ethical, technical etc...)?

Oh it's quite simple, and it is more technical than anything else.
I'm not a big fan of C++ and accessing Qt implies quite immediately
that you need to use C++. Furthermore, interfacing the VM with C++
world would have been probably more difficult and more expensive. Perhaps
I'm wrong since I have not done the job completely, but it is the
feeling I have. Anyway, there is now no dependencies between the VM
and the graphical library, since it is dynamically loaded (btw, last
time (i.e. 5 or 6 years ago) I tried to dynamically load pieces in C++
as it is done in STk/STklos, I had problems with name mangling which
made things difficult, but perhaps theses things don' t exist
anymore).

Consequently, there is no impossibility to switch to Qt if necessary
or have both connexions if needed.

                -- Erick