Re: concurrency in STk, and Windows init file questions

From: Harvey J. Stein <hjstein_at_bfr.co.il>
Date: 27 Mar 2000 13:51:51 -0500

Lars Thomas Hansen <lth_at_ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> >I think Lars Thomas Hansen released modifications for STk for
> >preemptive threads. I can't find it now, though.
>
> Wow, I'm not only famous, but missing! :-)
>
> Those patches were for version 2.1.7 if I remember correctly. They were
> not extensive -- essentially changes to EVAL to implement a countdown
> timer and timer interrupts, hooks into the I/O system to preempt threads
> that block on I/O, and then standard continuation-based threads on top
> of it all. The I/O bits were by far the messiest because STk's I/O
> system was messy at the time. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the
> patch file, so I can't contribute it, and anyone else who has it should
> speak up.
>
> The threads package was used in Sneezy/Sneaky, an STk-based debugger for
> parallel C++ and Fortran programs, see, e.g
> <http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/paracomp/proj/tau/sneezy/index.html>.
> If anyone can find the sources for Sneaky in the jumble that is the
> University of Oregon Web, maybe you will find the threads package too!

I found a couple of references (wget limped along far enough, I
guess). There's:

   ftp://ftp.cs.uoregon.edu/pub/lth/tasking-alpha2.tar.gz

and:

   ftp://ftp.cs.uoregon.edu/pub/lth/stk-tasking-beta1.tar.Z

Unfortunately, ftp.cs.uoregon.edu doesn't seem to have a /pub/lth any longer.

If I find a local copy I'll post it.

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP