Re: Garbage collection, part two...

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:43:12 +0200 (CEST)

Felix Lee writes:
> Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>:
> > Of course. I'm just astonished that we have not seen this before. The
> > setmp/longjmp trick to save registers had worked for quite a long time
> > now, and it is weird that it does not work anymore. I have tried to
>
> In ANSI C, setjmp/longjmp is not required to restore any
> local variables, and thus is not required to save any
> registers.
>
> 'gcc -traditional' will force local variables to be
> allocated on the stack by default, thus giving you pre-ANSI
> setjmp/longjmp behavior.

Thanks for the information. I have not seen it before (I have just
checked the gcc info file now).
Do you know if this is recent because, STk is compiled with gcc for
years and I have not seen the problem so far. I know that I'm mainly
on i386, which has very few registers, and it can explain, but others
have not signalled this kind of problem. Weird....

                -- Erick