Re: newbie using console and ed

From: Erick Gallesio <eg_at_unice.fr>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:13:41 +0200 (CEST)

Michael Ackerman writes:
> I'm a newbie at Linux, and I'm delighted to have found STk, which,
> according to its manual, fulfills just about my whole wish-list for
> Scheme (which I've been using on a Mac, along with Lisp and CLOS).
> However I am having some problems in setting up a working environment
> correctly. If I invoke STk with the -console option, I do get a console
> window, but entering and evaluating scheme in this console is amazingly
> slow. I am doing something wrong? Any help with this problem will be
> greatly appreciated.

No you don't do something wrong but your window manager probably yes.
This problem occurs with some window managers and not others (sawfish
don't work for instance whereas wmaker is fine). The problem comes from
the console-insert function in file Lib/console.stk. You can comment
the line
   (raise (winfo 'top console))
and the problem is gone.

> Also, what would you suggest is the best set-up for using STk, namely,
> to use its builtin editor or to hook it up to emacs?

emacs (or xemacs) of course. The integrated editor is just here for
people on windows that don't have parenthesis flashing editor. This is
only a poor substitute and on Linus, you must not hesitate a second.

> Sorry to bother you with these probably dumb questions, but I have
> looked at the FAQ and the mailing list archive and have not found answers.
> Thanks,
Hope it helps

                -- Erick