Re: STk users (was RE: Win9x/2k/NT calling DLLs)

From: Shiro Kawai <shiro_at_lava.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:31:18 -1000

From: Erick Gallesio <Erick.Gallesio_at_unice.fr>
Subject: Re: STk users (was RE: Win9x/2k/NT calling DLLs)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:16:56 +0100 (CET)

> The next release of STk (which will be called STklos by the way, since
> it is a completely different program) will be faster than actual STk (something
> like 4x and 5x, sometimes more). Perhaps you will not have anymore to
> use sockets for your program (this is particularly important that I'm
> not sure to have support for sockets in the first STklos release :-).
> I hope to be able to distribute a first release before the end of this
> millennium.

This news is very interesting.

I've been using STk for several years at work.
Although nothing I made is very interesting in an academic way, STk
has been a handy tool to create a trivial programs to serve a real
production. For example, we have a web-based scheduling
system managing 200 staff in the company.
Thanks to STklos, a prototyping and maintainance is much easier,
I guess, compared to the same size of scripts in Perl.
For me, STklos is more appealing feature of STk than Tk-binding part.
(There're a few small libraries I wrote in http://www.shiro.dreamhost.com/scheme )

So, the news of new STklos is exciting, for there's going to be
faster and better stklos system, maybe free from some legacy issues.

On the other hand, however, I need to support the production I'm working at.
I think there are several patches floating around this ML after 4.0.1
release, and it'll be nice if they are consolidated to one place at least.
If Erick is busy for new STklos, I'm happy to volunteer to do that.
Any ideas?

--
Shiro Kawai
  Programmer, or an inline hockey lover         http://www.lava.net/~shiro