Re: Scheme community

From: Cris A Fugate <fugate_at_lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:22:54 -0600

Walter Moreira wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 03:38:05PM -0800, Kelly Murray wrote:
> > How many people are using STk ??
> > The mailing list sure is quiet.
>
> Moreover, how big is the scheme community? I think it is small or at least
> very disperse. This looks very strange for me. If you look at Python, for
> example, with a clear and simple semantic, close to scheme; why do you think
> it has a incredible success? Why scheme isn't so successful? Has anybody an
> answer?
>
> Surely, the libraries is one of the points, but there must be somenthing
> else...

There is a big discussion in comp.tcl.lang about this very issue.
Some people strongly believe it is due to the Object-oriented nature
of Python. Tcl also seems to have suffered from the so called Tcl Wars
in which the free software foundation rejected Tcl as being insufficient
for large programs. While Scheme is actually favored by the free
software foundation it probably suffers from a consistent object
framework and from those parenthesis. (but to me these are strengths).
Cris A. Fugate          Lucent Technologies, Robust Process Automation
fugate_at_lucent.com       http://ihgpweb.ih.lucent.com/~fugate
630 713-8255            Creator of framesets, a frames implementation